Germany is no doubt one of the best places for studying MBBS. The best thing about it that it is tuition free. There are almost 36 universities in Germany that offer MBBS degrees. In Germany, MBBS is known as MD.
As a general case, if you want to study in Germany MBBS after having an F.Sc qualification from Pakistan, you can only go to studienkolleg first for a foundation course called ‘M’ course. This course is of one year and consists of 2 semesters where you are taught the standard lessons to participate further in German universities. For getting admission into these foundation colleges, you need to pass an entry test and in the end of 2 semesters, a final test. After passing this foundation year in this college, you will be forwarded to the university for starting MBBS. Befor you read further information, please know the following terms first:
Every year, many international students go to Germany for doing MBBS. Being a Pakistanis student, you need to know following things before applying:
How to study Medicine in Germany
- A levels certificate comprising one language, Chemistry and two more subjects from Maths, Biology or Physics. One subject may have been completed at AS level, but not Chemistry. + Knowledge of German language at Level C1 or C2 (check requirements of university).
- FSc + two successfully completed years of MBBS course at a Pakistani university + Knowledge of German language at level C1 or C2
- FSc + one year Studienkolleg (M course) + general university entrance exam (Feststellungsprüfung). To apply for admission to Studienkolleg, knowledge of German language level B1 is required. The Feststellungsprüfung later also will prove your proficiency in German.
Some universities run additional aptitude tests. It is also highly recommended to bring proof of three months of practical nursing at the time of application.
- A degree course in Medicine takes six years and three months and is completed by a state exam (Staatsexamen), which is the precondition to obtain a license to practice (Approbation).
- Medical education is provided in German language only.
- Application for a degree course in Medicine is extremely competitive.
- A degree course in Medicine is very time and energy-consuming.
- Neither DAAD nor any other German organizations provides scholarships for foreign students studying Medicine in Germany.
How to find the right university (only if you are eligible to apply directly in university)?
As a rule, degree courses in Medicine are run by the Faculties of Medicine at German universities and not by special medical schools. You can get a list of universities offering degree courses in Medicine by using the platform http://www.study-in.de (fill in “State examination” and “Medicine”). To find the best university for you, you may use the ranking offered at https://ranking.zeit.de/ . But keep in mind: The most popular universities for Medicine (Heidelberg, Münster, Greifswald, Aachen, Berlin) are also those who receive the highest number of applications.
German Language Requirement
Start learning German early enough. You need minimum B1 level for starting with a foundation course in Studienkolleg and for direct entry, C1 to C2. If you cannot learn enough German at school, contact Goethe Institute Karachi, Annemarie Schimmel House Lahore or NUML Islamabad.
What should you do before you apply?
- Make yourself familiar with the faculties of Medicine in Germany and their degree courses. Some universities have recently introduced new and innovative curricula.
- Complete an internship at a hospital if possible.
- Select your AS / AL courses according the requirements for Medicine.
- If you have obtained or will obtain FSc degree, make yourself familiar with the Studienkollegs and their requirements for admission (see special information sheet).
General Course Outline (referred by Heidelberg Medical University)
The medical course lasts at least 6 years + 3 months and leads to the State Examination and the subsequent Licence to Practise Medicine (Approbation). It divides into a pre-clinical section of two years’ duration leading to the first leg of the Examination for Physicians (Ärztliche Prüfung) followed by the clinical section of a further three years’ duration leading to the second leg of the Examination for Physicians. There follows a Practical Year and the subsequent third leg of the Examination for Physicians. Either before embarking on the course or during periods when no teaching takes place, students undergo training in First Aid and a three-month Patient Care Training stint as part of the pre-clinical section of their studies.
Is it free of cost?
It is free of tuition fees. Yes, you won’t have to pay the tuition fees in the university for this. Instead, you will have to pay only for semester contribution that is around €150 to €400 each semester. You will have to pay also for your accommodation in study material too in Germany.
List of MBBS Universities in Germany
Don’t worry, even if you do not go to the university directly for an MBBS degree in Germany, you may still search important things on these all medicine universities there:
List of documents to apply for student visa of Germany
Once you have all the above process done, you will have to apply in German embassy with you all documents.
There are following documents that you must submit in oder to apply for a student visa:
- valid passport (issued within the last 10 years and with at least 12 months validity left after the scheduled return)
- Application form & declarations duly signed (click here to download visa application form)
- 1 copy of your passport’s data page (A4 size copy)
- 3 passport size pictures according to biometric specifications (click here to check photo specification)
- cover letter from applicant explaining the exact purpose and duration of stay
- letter of admission from German university or a studienkolleg (electronic version)
- proof of payment of study fees, if applicable
- proof of language proficiency in English and/or German (ONLY if course is taught in
German). Surely in MBBS in Germany case, you must show proof of German language certificate. This would be “Zertifikat Deutsch” by Goethe-Institut (GI) or NUML]´university.
- proof of other academic qualifications, F.Sc transcript and certificate. It must be attested by IBCC.
- proof of financial means to cover the costs for the time of your studies by one of the
– confirmation of scholarship/ stipend
– “Verpflichtungserklärung” (formal obligation letter) by sponsor (it could be a friend or a family member) living in Germany. You will have to provide too the income proofs and salary slips of their work or job.
– Proof of blocked account in the name of the applicant showing a minimum balance of 8640,- Euros. In case you opt for blocked account in Germany , the proof needs to include the remark that the account holder can dispose of a monthly amount of 720,- Euros (blocked account complete details are at the end of this page)
- Complete list of children (download form)
- Additionally you will have to find in a security questionnaire. Download it here
- True information declaration form is also to be filled in for all applicants. Download
- If you have been refused previously for any German visa or Schengen, provide the details of refusal.
- Do not forget to take with you the appointment booking confirmation code.
- travel health insurance covering the period from your departure to the date of enrollment
at the university (mentioned in your letter of admission) (approx. 3 months). Following is the list of main health insurance companies that are authorized for providing you the policy.
- Adamjee Insurance Company Ltd.
- Asia Insurance Co Ltd
- Askari General Insurance Company Ltd
- Atlas Insurance
- CHUBB Insurance Company Ltd. (formerly ACE Insurance Ltd.)
- CICL (Century Insurance Company Ltd)
- Continental Insurance Company Ltd.
- Crescent Star Insurance Limited
- East West Insurance Company Ltd
- EFU General
- Habib Insurance Company Ltd.
- Jubilee General Insurance Co. Ltd
- PICIC (Pakistan Industrial Credit Investment Corporation)
- Premier Insurance Limited
- Pak-Qatar General Takaful Ltd
- Shaheen Insurance
- Sindh Insurance
- SPI Insurance Company Ltd (formerly Saudi Pak)
- TPL Direct Insurance Ltd
- UBL Insurers Ltd
- UIC (United Insurance Company)
- Universal Insurance Co. Ltd
Blocked account details
Arrange for your financial resources. Proof of blocked account in the name of the applicant showing a minimum balance of 8640,- Euros. In case you opt for blocked account in Germany , the proof needs to include the remark that the account holder can dispose of a monthly amount of 720,- Euros. ( this amount keeps on changing for every year, so please do check latest required amount at the local German mission.
The blocked account can be possible in following ways:
- Through Fintiba online banking service. This is a German company that helps you opening an account in Germany.
- Currently, you can also have a blocked account opened in UBL Bank in Pakistan as they have special procedure for opening these bank accounts. For this bank account, you do not need to go to embassy. Here is complete information for you.
- You can also have a Blocked account opened with any other German bank. For bank account forms please get in touch with the bank of your choice in Germany. Currently, only Deutsche Bank (www.deutsche-bank.de) offers the service of this type of blocked accounts for foreign students throughout Germany. By choosing this bank for you blocked account, you will have to follow the procedure below:
For opening the bank account, your signature on the documents to open a blocked account has to be attested by the Embassy in Islamabad, the Consulate General in Karachi or the Honorary Consul in Lahore. For the attestation appointment please provide your passport and a black-and-white copy including page 2 / the page showing your signature.
For an appointment with the Consular Section of the Embassy please click: here. Don’t forget that you will have to pay a fees for this appointment. It could be paid at the Embassy and it is about 4000 PKR (25,- €), but may change due to exchange rate.