If you are the one willing to study in Germany, you can follow these steps to successfully study in Germany.
20 Steps for successful admission and visa application
- Select a course to study in Germany
- Select a university of your choice in Germany through DAAD website
- Determine if you are eligible to get admission in university directly or you have to study in a studienkolleg first
- If you are eligible to study directly in a university then read on this page here how to get admission in germany university
- If you have to study first in a studienkolleg, then follow the steps told on this page Studienkolleg Admission Process
- Ask your university or studienkolleg or read on their official webpages if you have to apply directly to university or through uni-assist
- After choosing respective portal, start the process of applying for admission
- Gather the documents you need to add with your admission application (you can ask your university first about the required documents)
- Get the language proficiency test certificate. You need to show that you have required language proficiency to study in Germany. You either need German language (only in case when your course will be taught in German medium of instruction with B2 level for bachelor degree and C1 for master degree) or English langauge (IELTS or TOEFL) test certificates proofs with a minimum level of 6.0 score for bachelor degree and 6.5 (IELTS score) for a master degree program.
- Get the required educational documents attested by relevant educational boards and universities (this condition is not for all countries however)
- Carefully read the admission instructions as some universities as for some extra requirements for example GRE test etc
- Once all documents are ready, send them to either uni-assist or to university through post or online as guided by respective portals.
- After getting successful admission offer letter, get ready to apply for student residence in local German embassy.
- Gather the required documents for submitting a student visa application (you can read here full list of documents)
- For studying in Germany, you need to show visa officer that you can manage your living expenses during. Proof of financial means to cover the costs for the time of your studies by one of the following documents:
– confirmation of scholarship/ stipend
– “Verpflichtungserklärung” (formal obligation letter) by sponsor living in Germany (this simply means any of your family member living in Germany can sponsor you for your living expenses in Germany. For doing so, they must show work contract and salary slips with bank statement that they have good financial situation plus this letter from local foreign office.
– Proof of blocked account in the name of the applicant showing a minimum balance of 8640,- Euros. In case you opt for blocked account in Germany , the proof needs to include the remark that the account holder can dispose of a monthly amount of 720,- Euros.
- Arrange your health insurance.
- Once you have all these documents, you can fill in the visa application form.
- Get the appointment from local German embassy in your country to submit the visa application.
- Do not forget to read and sign the checklist and instructions of the embassy before visiting them specially the photocopies of documents, information about previous history and refusals of previous visa applications if any.
- You have to pay the visa application fee, confirm it from the Germany embassy before visiting them. Yu may be interview on the same day or later on whatever the choice of local visa officer is. Visa application reply will be given to you in 3 to 8 weeks.