Many of you would be wondering what is meant by a studienkolleg.
The Studienkollegs function as a “bridge” to help you move from the academic culture of your home country to German academic culture. They offer targeted preparation courss for foreign applicants. The Studienkolleg teachers, your “bridge builders”, are highly qualified and specialized experts who will work with you.
This sipmly means if you do not hold a valid qualification or required one for Germany university admission for a bachelor degree level, then you have to study in a Studienkolleg first to fill in the gap of university needs.
In Germany, the high school education consists of 13 years in total, which is as follows:
- German preschool/nursery (Kindergarten)
- German primary school (Grundschule)
- Secondary school in Germany: This third type and final schooling is divided into more following parts,
- Gymnasium – for academic students;
- Realschule – for intermediary students;
- Hauptschule – for less academic students;
- Gesamtschule – a comprehensive school combining all education types;
So this simply means German students get into a bachelor degree after completing 13 years of high schooling. Same is true for those international students who want to get education in German universities, they must hold a qualification and high schooling of 13 years. This problem, often face the students of Pakistan and India where high schooling is for 12 years only.
Completing a one year foundation course in Studienkolleg, one can easily get into a bachelor degree.
If you have a high school qualification of 12 years, you will have to study in a Studienkolleg in Germany.